Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Fish Day

It was a good day to start right off with an art project! Right after breakfast, I got the table ready and the girls were right on board (they love painting). They didn't know WHAT we were making, it was a surprise.
Step by step, they did a great job following directions until it was clear we were making an aquarium. Fish!!! We love Fish!
Aren't these little guys cute? Super fun, and super easy (and as a complete side note, I found this idea on Esty, where someone was selling a kit to make this for $11.5o... seriously, no joke. With paper plates and all. Wow!) This one is Noelle's.
And Melanie's aquarium. Then, of course, the fun couldn't stop there. I piled the girls into the car and took them on a "secret surprise" trip... to Petsmart. Once Melanie saw the "fish wall", she literally yelled out loud, in the store, "Wow Mom! We are having a FISH DAY!" Yes Melanie, that was my plan. I'm so glad she caught on to my themed day, and that she was excited about it. And yes, I'm that lame mom that not only takes their kid to the pet store to look (but not buy), but I'm also the mom that took pictures of them looking. O-well, it totally goes with my theme, so we will just smile and nod. Melanie and Noelle LOVED looking at all the different kinds of fish. It's not as grand as the big aquariums you pay to go see, but hey... it's free! And Air Conditioned!
When we got home, we played a sorting game with Swedish Fish. They girls both got half a bag of Swedish fish and sorted them out by color.
It was hard not to eat them, but they did a great job. (Maybe it's because I promised they could sample after sorting)
Then we counted all the fish and graphed!
(I love math and science... I'm hoping my girls do too!)
And, of course, we couldn't get through the day without reading this book and it's big brother (One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish) a few times! The girls were so excited about the fish day, they played like they were fish and had a fish tea party... They didn't walk anywhere in the house, but "swam" (crawled) and just giggled a ton. It was fun!

1 comments:

mad white woman said...

So awesome and I love that you took them to the pet store for the field trip. Clever!

Do you plan these things at the beginning of the week and go buy everything you need? How do you manage these things on a DAILY basis?