Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Johnny Appleseed

Sunday, March 18th, was the anniversary of Johnny Appleseed's (or Johnny Chapman by birth) death. I borrowed several books about him from the library, and the kids spent a few days learning a little bit about him.
Sunday, we paid tribute by eating apples with breakfast and lunch, and then (as a group), making apple donuts for dessert. (We used a spiffy donut maker that my brother gave us for Christmas. It was the first time we have used it, and it was fun!)Everyone got involved in making the donuts.
Even Oliver...
Then, the girls decorated theirs with vanilla frosting and red sprinkles, while Brandon and I had ours with powdered sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on top.
After everyone ate their donut, and got ready for bed, daddy read more books to everyone about Johnny Appleseed.
I have enjoyed learning more about this American Legend. (And eating apples!)

0 comments: